Van Excellence - What it is, and why you need it?
May 15, 2017
Category: General / Posted by: pjones
by Kelly Woodward
Van Excellence is a scheme designed by some of the best Van Operators in the UK, facilitated and managed by FTA to recognise excellence and improve operational standards. At its heart is the Van Excellence Code which is a Code of Practice outlining 'what good looks like' in van operations.
Driver Certificate of Competence
The single largest influence on road safety is the driver. Raising training standards mitigates the risks created by non-compliant drivers. Evaluating the training by assessment demonstrates that knowledge has been received and understood.
The Van Excellence Driver Certificate of Competence Course has been developed in conjunction with Van Excellence Accredited Operators, with two principal aims; to address work-related road risk and to create a learning pathway for driver development.
- Supports best practice systems and procedures within an Organisation
- Improves customer service through recognising that the driver is your company’s ambassador
- Demonstrates a proactive approach to risk management
- Supports recruitment, retention and engagement
- Aligns with Driver CPC syllabus – for Operators running HGV and LCV fleets
Operational Briefing 2017
The Van Excellence Operational Briefings 2017, attended by LLA, explored risk and driver management, and discussed best practice and compliance issues across a range of key areas.
The programme at Aston Villa FC, Birmingham included:
- One Fateful Day - A dramatised serious road traffic collision enacted with mock police interviews under caution.
- Best practice for managing drivers - Discussing ways of overcoming the challenges faced with driver management
- Protection against drug-driving - "Almost 8000 drivers have been arrested for drug driving in the last 12 months". This session explained the changes to legislation and explored practical protocols for operators to manage their responsibility
- Managing driver health issues - The Glasgow bin lorry tragedy has been well covered in the press
- Reducing driver distraction and understanding driver psychology
- Strategies for managing drivers and reducing risk - Discussing best practice in driver management and risk management
- One Fateful Day: the repercussions - A live mock trial and sentencing of the defendants from the crash. Personally I found this to be the most hard-hitting. The dramatisation was incredibly life like and showed how 3 people’s lives could change so suddenly from one incident.
Driver CPC approved (full day option)
LLA is offering the Van Excellence Driver CPC as a one day Training Event for companies to promote best practice within their business through employing drivers who conform to the Van Excellence code. For the driver, it will reaffirm and develop their current knowledge. For the company, it will add value knowing that their drivers are worthy ambassadors to their customers.
You can watch the videos of the dramatisation here:
For more information or to book your place, please contact me at email@example.com or call me on 07717 758352.